Scoliosis is the abnormal curve in the spine. The normal spine has a curve on the shoulder and the lower back. If you have a curved spine from side to side, it's abnormal, and chances are you have scoliosis. Scoliosis is primarily diagnosed in early adolescence and is more dominant in girls than boys. Scoliosis is a severe condition and can pose other health dangers if left untreated, mainly because it affects your body's anatomy. Chiropractic care from us at Johnson Chiropractic Center serving Fayetteville, AR, can help you manage your scoliosis symptoms. Our chiropractor in Fayetteville can help provide scoliosis pain management and chiropractic treatment for back pain.
What Causes Scoliosis?
Many cases of scoliosis have no identifiable cause. However, some reasons that doctors identify may include:
- Congenital disabilities
- Cerebral Palsy
- Spinal infections or injuries
Types of Scoliosis
Scoliosis comes in different types, which may be due to the condition's cause. They may include:
- Congenital scoliosis: It occurs due to bone abnormality and presents itself at birth.
- Degenerative scoliosis: This scoliosis type may result from major spinal surgery, traumatic injury, bone collapse, or deformation.
- Neuromuscular scoliosis: Neuromuscular scoliosis results from abnormal nerve or muscle formation. It's more dominant in those with cerebral palsy.
- Idiopathic scoliosis: Idiopathic is the most dominant form of scoliosis, with 80% of the cases having no known cause. This scoliosis is mainly known to run in families.
Symptoms of Scoliosis
Depending on how severe or the degree of the spine curvature, you may show the following symptoms:
- One shoulder blade protrudes or is higher than the other
- Uneven hips
- Clothes may hang unevenly
- Muscle spasms or chronic back pain
- Breathing problems
- A rotating spine
Our chiropractor will perform a routine patient history and a limited physical examination to diagnose your scoliosis. Then, we may request an x-ray to identify the degree of your spinal curvature.
How Chiropractors Help with Scoliosis Treatment
Scoliosis is a condition that, when left untreated, can lead to other serious health problems like herniated discs, migraines or headaches, heart problems, breathing problems, chronic back or neck pain, and much more. The good news is that chiropractors offer a solution using non-invasive treatment methods.
Depending on several factors like age and the type of scoliosis, a chiropractor may recommend the following treatment plan to help reduce or relieve scoliosis symptoms:
- Chiropractic adjustments to reposition misaligned joints
- Rehabilitative exercises
- Lifestyle recommendations
- Massage therapy
Get Scoliosis Pain Management with Our Chiropractor
Chiropractic care is a perfect way of avoiding medication and surgery for your scoliosis. Indeed, there are many benefits associated with chiropractic care, regardless of your scoliosis symptoms or the severity. If you want to overcome your scoliosis symptoms, schedule an appointment with us at Johnson Chiropractic Center serving Fayetteville, AR. Our chiropractor in Fayetteville can provide scoliosis pain management and chiropractic treatment for back pain. Call us at (479) 935-3021.